Monday, October 28, 2013

Hide and Seek

“Daddy’s in there. You’ll see, I’ll show you” she told me. It was sad. I shouldn’t be letting her believe this, but what else was I supposed to do? Tell her the truth? I had to play along. Even though I know it’s not good for her. “He’s in the shed out back, the one that mama never uses anymore. Let’s go let’s go let’s go!” she jumped up and down and grabbed my hand, pulling me down the path. The path led through a forest of tall trees which would eventually open up to the old shed. The shed we never use anymore.

She led me there silently, and it was beginning to get dark and cold. “Is this where you think daddy’s been this whole time?” I asked her, breaking the silence.

“Yes, he had to hide from mama. But he said he didn’t want to be far away from you and me.” “How long have you known about this?”

“oooh, I don’t know, a while. Also, you can’t make fun of him! He kinda silly looking, but don’t worry, he’s still daddy.” It was so sad listening to her talk like this. She seemed so convinced that her imagination was real. Should I tell her he is gone forever? I can’t. I can’t take that smile away from her little face.

“okay, okay I won’t. Do you two still play hide and seek?”

“Oh yes! And I know his secret hiding spot!” she giggled to herself, pulling me faster through the woods now.

“We’re almost there! Hurry hurry, it’s almost too dark for me to see!” The trees cleared and I could see a soft light in the distance among the darkness. The shed was in worse shape than I remember. I’m surprised the light still works. The wood was rotting, and the boards were falling off in places, leaving holes in the roof and walls. We slowed down as we got closer, and could see the cobwebs all over the abandoned building. I don’t know why she needed to bring me all the way out here just to see her imaginary friend. An imaginary friend who played as her father. I wish my sister could just accept that he was gone. That way she wouldn’t pretend like he’s still here. I wouldn’t have to be at this shed, rotting and falling apart as we speak. Mama told us never to come here.

Having to push hard, she opened the creaking doors. It was completely dark inside, and smelled like it was hundreds of years old. She turned on her flashlight, the only places I could see was wherever she pointed the light. She didn’t seem to be scared one bit. She led me further inside, to a corner in the shed. “Here he is, say hi!” she said, pointing the light to the corner. I was immediately in shock. A man, sitting in the corner looking up at me. He looked just like my father, but his skin was white. Not just pale, pure white. His eyes were coal black, against his snowy white skin, along with his white hair. He smiled at me, but I couldn’t smile back. Was that really my dad? Why has he been here this whole time? Why does he look this creepy? Is he sick? I didn’t know what to do. It was too unreal. I could suddenly feel tears run down my face. “Don’t cry Samantha, it’s just me. Remember me?” He held out his hand to me but I stepped back. The sound of his voice made my throat swell up. I’ve missed him so much, and after all these years he was here the whole time. I wanted to tell him how much I missed him, but I was horrified with his looks.

“What’s wrong Samantha? I know I look different, but I’m the same, promise. Come give me a hug.” he smiled, his teeth as white as his skin. This all felt like a dream. He looked like something that would only exist in your head, or in movies. His white face popped in contrast against the darkness around me, and his black eyes against his skin. The flashlight was shining directly on his face, he was the only thing I could see. Blackness surrounded all other sides of me. He stared at me, waiting for me to respond. Part of me wanted to hug him, a hug that I haven’t had in years. A hug that I thought I would never get again. But I couldn’t, I stood there in fear, crying, when I should be happy. “Samantha I told you! He looks a little silly, but he’s still daddy.” I couldn’t answer her. The more I looked at him, the more I sensed something was wrong. It wasn’t just his skin or his eyes. I could just feel this wasn’t right, we shouldn’t be here. I needed to grab her and run, run away and never come back. “Come on,” I finally said. “Let’s go back now. We need to go.” I choked on my tears of fear.

“Now wait a minute, wait a minute.” My father spoke in the same voice I’ve known and remembered for years. The same, but somehow different, and sent chills through my body. “How about a quick game of hide and seek?” I had a feeling this wasn’t the same kind of hide and seek. I pulled my sister away and tried to get out of that shed as fast as I could. She screamed, “No No No Samantha! It’s Daddy! It’s Daddy, he wants to play hide and seek!” We made it outside and it was already nighttime. I took her flashlight, shining it on the trees that surrounded us, trying to find the path that led us home. A white face appeared in the light of the flashlight. “I’ll tell you what,” he told us. “Go hide, and if I can’t find you by morning then you can go back home.” I agreed. But where do I hide? I just ran. I had no idea where I was going, but I just ran away from him. “Where are we going to hide?” my sister giggled to me. This was all fun and games to her. “I don’t know, where do you hide when you play with him?” I asked her, trying to remain calm.

“Let’s hide in his secret hiding spot! He’ll never find us there!” I let her lead the way, and she started going off the path, into the woods. We came across a large tree, bigger than all the others in the forest. There was a big hole in the trunk of the tree, big enough to fit people inside. We sat inside, and turned the flashlight off. All was dark, and the only thing we could do now was wait. Wait until morning and pray that he would never find us. I didn’t even know why I was so afraid of him, but I know it was more than his appearance. I could feel that we were in danger. Almost like my life was the one in danger.

We waited for what seemed like hours. But I had no idea how long it’s been. I flinch at every sound that is made. Every leaf that falls, every deer that walks by, and every owl that hoots. There was no telling where he is, maybe he knows where we are this whole time. He’s just standing right behind us, making me suffer by waiting even longer. Please, I would think to myself, please god let us be safe. I know this isn’t the same dad. I should’ve listened to my mother when she told us not to come out here. Why didn’t I listen? I’ll never see her again. It’s all over.

There were Footsteps in the leaves. They got closer and closer. Maybe it’s a deer, I kept telling myself in my head. Just a deer, that’s all. Louder and louder now, and then the footsteps stopped. Right outside the tree. I closed my eyes, holding on to my sister, who only thought this was a game. At least she would die happy. A knocking on the wood. He’s knocking, why is he knocking? My sister couldn’t contain herself and giggled. “Aha,” I heard the voice I’ve remembered, but was so much more different now. “I think I found you!” My sister turned on the flashlight and revealed a white face staring at us from outside the tree. “It’s okay now, you’re safe with me now Samantha! You’ll never have to go back home! Look at yourself!” My sister shined the light on me, and I look down at my arms. They were white. As white as my dad’s skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment